Dragon Releases v.16, and the Reviews are Rolling In!
Dragon dictation software has brought incredible improvement to the lives of all computer users who use it, and especially those with movement disabilities.
Lunis Orcutt of KnowBrainer remains the premier expert on Dragon dictation software, having worked on speech-powered computing since the 1990s (pre-dating Dragon). Read KnowBrainer's initial review of Dragon 16 here.
Some quick takeaways:
- The new version has increased in price by $199 and allows only 2 activations for non-VLA users.
- The new version is faster and compatible with more Windows 11 commands and programs than previous versions.
- Initially, this release was met with skepticism, due to hopes for greater leaps in functionality and the long waiting period of over 6 years.
Here are a few of the 'pros' of Dragon 16:
- Full Windows 11 Compatibility with Windows 11 specific enhanced commands
- Runs noticeably faster in Windows 11 (a lot went on under the hood)
- Microsoft Office 21 Compatibility
- Corel WordPerfect Office XX1 Compatibility
- Apache OpenOffice Compatibility
- LibreOffice (limited) Compatibility (limited)
- Multiple screen MouseGrid support (up to 3 resolution matching monitors)
- Universal PowerMic 4 Support
- Microsoft Teams Support
- ...go to KnowBrainer's review for the full list of pros and cons
What is KnowBrainer Software?
KnowBrainer is a command software for the Windows OS that powerfully controls Dragon dictation software and allows users to maximize the benefits of speech-to-text. Learn more on KnowBrainer's site.
The KnowBrainer site is also the host of a community message board for sharing tips, troubleshooting, and collaborating on commands for Dragon, KnowBrainer, etc.
Doug Lear from Northwest Ergonomics Discusses Dragon v.16
Doug Lear has this to add about the new Dragon Release:
"I like the new version. I am using a Windows 11 computer, and have found that version 16 runs faster and is more responsive then version 15 in Windows 11, and also fixes a few things that were broken in v.15.
Being that Microsoft now owns Nuance (the maker of Dragon NaturallySpeaking), version 16 has been built for compatibility with current and future versions of Windows, so I think it will remain the gold standard for voice activated software for the unforeseen future."
Contact the Assistive Technology Experts at Northwest Ergonomics
Doug Lear and the team at Northwest Ergonomics is here to help with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Our highly trained dictation software experts will consult with you to understand your specific needs and provide solutions that really work. We help people of all ages, including adults in the workplace who have experienced an injury or other disability.
It is important to our caring specialists that you really get the benefit of these wonderful advancements in technology. For that reason we specialize in training and follow-up to make sure that everything is working as effectively as possible for you.
To contact us, use the form on our contact page, or call 206-707-8830.
CategorIES#DragonNaturallySpeaking dragon Dragon Naturally Speaking DragonSoftware