Apps to Help Kids with Cerebral Palsy Develop Motor Skills
Last month was Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month, so we thought we'd bring you some free tools that might be useful to kids (or adults) who have cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is a neurological disability and affects thousands of people, children and adults, worldwide. Not everyone has cerebral palsy in the same way, there are similarities. Muscle movement and coordination are affected in different ways in many people.
Featured here are some free apps that are available to help those affected by cerebral palsy and other injuries or disabilities improve their movement.
- Baby’s Musical Hands - This app is musical and colorful. Any touch will produce a piano sound and this is accessible for those with less fine motor skills. This is self-voicing and fully accessible for children who are visually impaired or blind as well. The app supports full multi-touch, which means your child gets the kind of feedback they expect when touching the screen.
- Finger Paint with Sounds - This app gives children the opportunity to paint with different colours and sounds or music. This is a fun alternative to help children with disabilities and others to practice their first interactions with a touch screen. All they have to do is choose a colour and draw with music, fun sound effects or no sound at all.
- Duck Duck Moose Nursery Rhymes - This series of apps come with entertaining and sometimes surprising cause and effect options which are entertaining. These are ideal for children with some fine motor skills and gives them an opportunity to explore and discover.
- Whizzy Kids - These are fun games designed by a child psychologist and are ideal for children between 3 to 5 years. These are a set of 10 different games of different difficulty levels.
- Crazy Copy Games - There are four memory games presented in a sequence and children have to recall the order. The orders depend on the game and there are four levels. This can be a fun game for your child.
Get in Touch with an Expert at Northwest Ergonomics & Assistive Technology
Northwest Ergonomics and Assistive Technology is here to help with your assistive technology needs. Our trained experts will consult with you to understand your specific needs and provide solutions that really work. We help people of all ages who have experienced any kind of disability.
It is important to our caring specialists that you really get the benefit of these wonderful advancements in technology. For that reason we specialize in training and follow-up to make sure that everything is working as effectively as possible for you.
To contact us, use the form on our contact page, or call 206-707-8830